Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tool #2

I think it's so important to be building and participating in an online community as a teacher.  If we are teaching our students to be participatnts in a world that is increasingly technology-driven, we, as teachers, should be active participants in online communities as well.  The commenting advice was interesting to me, particularly with the various culture wars and online commenting madness that is rampant right now.  What stood out to me from the advice was the importance of being introspective while commenting: checking others' comments to see if your opinion has already been stated, ask yourself what you hope to get out of your comment, etc.  I was able to apply the advice in my comments when I came across a blog post that I didn't completely agree with, but saw that another person had already said my point almost exactly.  It would have been frustrating for the blogger (and unnecessary) to respond to two identical posts. I think it's pretty easy to share thoughts publicly, but then again, that depends what kind of thought it is!  It's different from sharing thoughts with someone in person, since feedback is so immediate and personal when face-to-face.

I plan to visit Fischbowl in the future. http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/  It's an education blog that goes beyond the classroom to focus on education as a whole.  The articles and videos are very thought-provoking, and the blog offers different perspectives on the challenging and rewarding job that we share with so many.

1 comment:

  1. Good post.
    On which of your colleagues' blogs did you visit and comment?

    ReplyDelete